This salad is perfect to serve up with a BBQ, or as a meal on its own. It is super flexible to make, fresh and delicious.
You can make it up for lunch with any meat leftover from last night’s barbie, and throw on any left over roasties too. Or it is also simple to make from scratch.
Feel free to switch out the lamb for beef or whatever meat you have on hand, or leave the meat out altogether if you wish. If pomegranates are no longer in the shops, I usually switch them out for chopped sun-dried tomato.
And if you are a cheese lover, so freshly cooked haloumi would go a treat on this!
- 3-4 cups of green leaves - your choice of kale, spinach, lettuce, rocket
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 medium kumara/sweet potato, scrubbed, cubed and roasted in coconut oil
- 2 medium zuchinni/courgette, cubed and roasted or BBQ
- 1 orange - segmented
- seeds from 1 pomegranate
- optional: grilled haloumi, avocado, sun-dried tomatoes, cherry tomatoes, pine nuts
- 6 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1 cup mint leaves, finely chopped
- juice and zest of one orange
- salt and pepper to taste
- pat your meat dry, rub in a little olive oil, salt and pepper, and then sear in a hot pan or on a hot BBQ to seal in the juices - brown all over. You can then either reduce the heat and cover until cooked to your desired done-ness, or transfer to an oven at 180c for the same purpose.
- mix together all the ingredients and season to taste
- if using kale, I recommend removing the stems, tearing up the leaves, and massaging in some olive oil or avocado until the leaves are soft.
- Toss the greens, sliced red onion, cooked sweet potato and zuchinni, orange segments, pomegranate seeds and any other salad ingredients together with about half of the dressing.
- Arrange on a plate with the meat on top, and drizzle the remaining dressing.